One of the most common concerns when it comes to makeup and skincare is how to eliminate dark circles or reduce their visibility the right way, but we have the complete guide to help you find the best way to achieve this.
I have combination skin, reddish dark circles and since I was diagnosed with vitiligo, one of my goals when applying makeup or choosing makeup products has been to unify the skin tone of my face.
If like me, this is one of your purposes when using makeup, and creating your skincare routine, then I recommend that you read very carefully.
Let’s start with the most important thing.
- What are bags under eyes and dark circles and why do they appear?
- Types of dark circles:
- The best way and treatment to combat the appearance of dark circles:
- How to remove spots and dark circles with makeup effectively:
- Medical treatments to eliminate or reduce dark circles:
What are bags under eyes and dark circles and why do they appear?
As explained by the Plastic and Aesthetic Surgeon Ángel Juárez, Head of the Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery Service at Hospital la Zarzuela in Madrid; Dark circles are eye disorders that occur in the lower eye area, for this to happen different factors influence such as genetics, kidney disease, hypothyroidism, excessive consumption of salt, processed foods and not enough consumption of water.
Of course, the most common reason is still the lack of sleep since it generates a dilation in the blood vessels, which increases with the passing of the years and aging as the skin in that area of the face becomes increasingly thin and thin.
Another factor that can affect the appearance of dark circles is iron deficiency since it generates a lack of oxygenation of the tissues.
Types of dark circles:
There are different types of dark circles:
- The pigmented ones that are distinguished by the increase of melanin in the skin of the eyelids, by genetics or atopic dermatitis.
- The vascular ones, in which the blood vessels can be visualized and are characterized by having a purplish color, and the so-called “valley of tears” which are distinguished by giving the appearance of a very marked groove.
On the other hand, bags are characterized by having a swollen appearance which appears due to the loss of muscle tone. If you are one of the people who sometimes wake up with bags under the eyes, this can be a reflex of fluid retention.
The best way and treatment to combat the appearance of dark circles:
Eliminating dark circles is not an easy task, so daily habits play a highly relevant role.
That is why it is important to respect your sleep hours, as well as to consume foods high in zinc, iron, and vitamin C.
In addition to this, various treatments or products on the market can serve as a great ally.
- Creams: Eye cream is an essential part of your skincare routine, if it is something that you do not incorporate yet or you are interested in trying a new product, opt for options that contain components such as caffeine, vitamin E, aloe vera, retinol and hyaluronic acid, to name a few.
- Eye patches: They are perfect to reduce inflammation of the skin in these areas of the face, thanks to the fact that they are made from gels, collagen, or caffeine. The recommendation is that you use them between two to three times a week and you can even sleep with them.
- Serums: Eye serums have the advantage of penetrating the skin more easily, they can be used to improve the appearance of dark spots, increase collagen production, and are good allies against the appearance of fine lines of expression.
There are also presentations that come in roll-on, or you can apply it by doing a gentle massage with your ‘face roller’.
How to remove spots and dark circles with makeup effectively:
Today some countless concealers and brands can help you achieve the effect you want.
However, each face has different needs and that is why knowing and learning the basics of colorimetry never hurts.
In the market, you can find pre-concealers of different colors such as green, yellow, purple, and orange. Each of them has different functions, which it is advisable to know before deciding which one you should apply.
- Green: If you have spots with reddish tones.
- Yellow: It is ideal to neutralize purple tones.
- Purple: You should only use it to cover yellow spots.
- Orange: It works for dark circles with a bluish hue and dark spots.
How to know which concealer and / or pre-concealer to choose?
For this, it is recommended that the first step you do is to stand in front of a mirror and observe your face.
To recognize which are the spots you want to correct, as well as the color of your dark circles, and based on that, you choose the pre-concealer that works best for you.
To achieve a perfect finish and give more light to your face, the best option is that the color of your concealer is a shade lighter than your skin tone since if you choose darker tones you run the risk of making your dark circles are more noticeable.
Some brands offer different options according to the needs of each face, here are some of our recommendations.
- Make Up Forever Velvet Concealers
- Make Up Forever Ultra HD Underpainting Color Correcting
- NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer
- NARS Radiant Concealer
- Bobbi Brown Eye Corrector
- Rare Beauty Concealer
Medical treatments to eliminate or reduce dark circles:
It is important to clarify that before you try any of these procedures, you must receive the approval of a specialist doctor in the area, since, as mentioned above, although they are very common, there are cases in which the appearance of dark circles may be due to medical conditions.
In general cases, methods such as Peeling or laser for the depigmentation of dark circles.
This is an oxygenation procedure that combats purplish dark circles, consists of subcutaneous injections of carbon dioxide around the eyes to improve blood circulation in the capillaries. To see results, it is necessary to carry out more than one session.
It is also used to fill the more noticeable areas, recovering the density of the skin: It increases the natural production of collagen and elastin. It is one of the most practical treatments since it does not require anesthesia and the patient can return to their daily life immediately.
A technique that consists of eliminating accumulated fat and excess skin under the eyes. However, it is important to clarify that it is not always possible to eliminate the bulge with this technique.